Home maintenance tips for spring
Giving your home an annual inspection is the best way to keep overall repair costs to a minimum and keep your home looking its best. Spring is the perfect time to take advantage of the mild temperatures and get these necessary home maintenance items off your ‘to-do’ list. Your annual spring home maintenance routine should include the following:
- Gutters: Thoroughly cleaning your gutters every spring and fall will help keep them working like they’re supposed to. Make sure the downspout is also clean and pointing 2 to 2-1/2 feet away from foundation walls.
- Roof: Be diligent about roof maintenance. Shingles that are curling, buckling or cracking need to be replaced. Check your ceiling for wet spots after a rain.
- Paint: Exposed wood will begin to rot, so look for chipped or cracked paint along the exterior of your home. Scrape off any failing paint, sand, and prime the bare wood surface, then paint it with a high quality paint. Brighten up house siding with a good power washing.
- Trees and Shrubs: Trim overgrown trees and hedges away from your home to discourage the growth of mildew and moisture. Branches should be at least 7 feet away from the exterior of your house to prolong the life of your siding and roof.
- Lawn and Garden: Rake up leaves that can suffocate your grass and stop it from growing. Pull up weeds and dead flowers in the garden and refresh mulch.
- Power Wash: Concentrate on decks, driveways, and fences as well as removing debris from sidewalks or pavers. Don’t forget the exterior of your home too.
- Concrete: Concrete always cracks but repair is necessary because water that finds its way into cracks will soften the ground underneath and cause more cracking. Clean the crack out with a high-pressure hose nozzle, let it dry, then for most cracks less than 1/4″, use concrete caulk, for larger cracks, substitute concrete patch for caulk.
Good maintenance practices help you protect your most valuable asset—your home. When you’re ready to buy or sell a property in the Myrtle Beach area, call Carolina Strand Realty at 843-945-9006 or CONTACT US now.